This phone call was the end of a journey that Rach started even before her baby brain began to think in words. As a little tiny girl (all right, being born at 9 1/2lbs, Rach was never a tiny girl)I talked to her about my mission, and how I hoped one day she would serve, too. Her lullabyes were "Called to Serve" and "Armies of Helaman". I always knew, however that serving a mission had to be her own choice, so as she grew older, the messages were less obvious. Inviting recently returned missionaries over for FHE, and taking her to my own mission field were just a few of the subliminal messages. Last December, she signed up for a mission prep class at BYU, and I help my breath. In May, she began of getting her papers ready to apply for a mission herself. That process ended July 23rd when we handed in her completed application to the Bishop. It took just 13 days and one phone call from the post-office to find out where she would spend the next 18 months.
This call opens a new journey for Rach, one that begins in Independence Missouri. This is a jouney that I have hoped and prayed that she would have (one I hope all my kids will have!) This journey also takes her back to the state where she was born and heard all those lullabyes. She will have the opportunity to be her best self, devote her life to service and bring souls to Christ, starting with her own.
So the question is now, If this is something I've wanted for Rach all her life, and something I am so excited for, why am I a basketcase? Why does anxiety grip my heart and tears form in my eyes at the stupidest moments? If this is my dream come true for my sweet Rachael, why does it hurt so much?
5 comments:
Oh my gosh!!!! So awesome! congrats to Rachel! When does she report? And keep us posted on the farewell. We would love to go! You are a basket case because you are her mother! :-)
Yippee! That is wonderful. We all know that Rach will be a wonderful missionary and help to touch so many people. She's your first, and she's your little girl that's growing up. What a great example she is setting for your other children though.
I'm just tickled for her. Independence, Missouri is one of the luckiest places on the planet to be getting Rachael. Give her our love and congratulations. (And put your feet up for just a little while and savor the accomplishment of raising such a beautiful, dedicated, exemplary daughter.)
That's wonderful news! Rachael and I talked a lot about missions before the Polynesian show at BYU a while ago and I wondered when I would hear this news!! Those thrilling moments as you're opening the papers and finally seeing where you'll serve the Lord are so unforgettable. I'm SO excited for her to serve!!
KJ!!!!! How wonderful! I love the pictures! I'm so proud of Rachel and you! Here I set at my desk crying! When is she going? OK, I'c calling you tonight. I love you and tell Rachie Congrats!
Post a Comment